It is the policy of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Department of Public Safety not to admit persons to locked buildings or offices unless the individual requesting access can show authorization for access to the building/office. Such authorization can be shown in a variety of ways that are outlined below.
I. Access to Outside Building Doors
- A person with a key to his/her own office in a building may be admitted.
- Insure information is recorded into the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
II. Access to His/Her Own Offices
- A person requesting admittance into his own office may be admitted if their name and office can be verified through checking the University Telephone Directory.
- Insure information is recorded into the CAD system.
III. Access to Another’s Office
If a person expresses a need to be admitted into the area that cannot be verified through the University Telephone Directory the following steps should be taken:
- If the requester would like to have his Department Chair contacted for authorization:
- If the Telecommunicator contacts the Chair and receives authorization, admit the person and file information into the CAD system.
- If unable to contact Department Chair, do not admit person. File information into the CAD system and state reason for denial of admittance.
- If the requester does not want the have his Department Chair contacted for authorization, do not admit person. File information into the CAD system and state reason for denial of admittance.